24 June 2006

I'm here!

Have you ever flown with pets? What an ordeal! Mac and Cheese went in the cargo and Jemma went on the plane. (By the way, there's no longer a price difference for international, so cargo or carry-on, it all costs the same.) I had to fill out papers for Mac and Cheese's crates. Then I had to take them out and hold them while they used the wand detector on their crates. Several people commented on Mac's size. Finally, a man came and carried them off. Then Jemma and I went through Security. They have this new machine at Metro that you stand in and these little jets puff air all over you. Needless to say, Jemma really did not appreciate that. She was perfect on the plane though. Somehow I ended up with a middle seat (I'm going to have to make sure that doesn't happen again!!) So it was a long flight. I thought I might have to answer some questions at passport control, but they didn't ask a one! (Guess it was just too early at 7 a.m.) Then I found my suitcases and the cats and a nice worker man helped me to load everything onto a luggage cart, so that it all fit (unlike at Metro where only the cats where on the luggage cart and I had to push them forward then run back to pull my suitcases - good times!).
Most of you know how I agonized over having the exact required paperwork for the cats to go through German customs. Well, there was not a soul at Customs. So I even walked through the "Something to Declare" line and nada, nichts, nothin'. So we're in Germany now, but do they know? Ah well, I think it's one of those things where if you didn't have it, you would have been checked. So now I have an Opel (don't know what model) and everything fit in and I drove myself to Bretzfeld (Simi's parents) without getting lost and I'm still standing, even without sleeping in about 16 hours. Guess I'll sleep good tonight!
The cats seem to be doing well. They're hiding under the bed, but I guess that's to be expected after what I put them through.
Finally, I'm here in Summer. ;) And the flowers are beautiful! My camera cords are in the airfreight, but I promise some pictures once I get a hold of that!

No comments: