14 September 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today's post is dedicated to my Mama, who was born in 19xx (I'm not getting myself in trouble here, okay??).
In college, she studied Social Work at Michigan State University. Although my Dad went there, too, they didn't meet there. They actually met at her parents' house. It's a good story, ask her about it sometime.
She and my Dad got married in 1977 and bought the cutest little bungalow in Pleasant Ridge. And then 15 months later they had me!

My Mom's quite the trooper. As a mentioned in Andy's birthday post, we first three kids are 19 and 22 months apart, respectively. [You're thinking, "wow, that's a lot of work," right?] Then, when we were 13, 11 and 9, Seth was born. [Mom, please notice that I did not mention your age there, either.] So even today, some 22 years after her first parent-teacher conference, my Mom is still going to them.
Later, when we were approximately 20, 19, 17 and 7 (or around those ages), we were all living at home again and my Mom LOVED that, well at least that we were all there. Don't know if she loved the mountains of laundry, the cleaning up after us, etc. [You're really starting to feel awe for Mom, right?] Then, not to make it easy on her or anything, a little over two years ago, we three oldest moved out within the span of approximately 5 months or so - Josh to live with friends, Andy got married and I bought a house. [Now you're feeling sympathy for Mom, aren't you....]
Besides raising all of us, my Mom [and my Dad, too, of course] did foster care. I don't know exactly, but I think we had more than 40 kids come through our house from when I was about 5 until I was 19 or so.
And she worked. Before I was born, she worked at as a social worker at Children's Aid. She has some pretty horrific stories about those days. Then, when I was little, she worked at Nutri Foods. Those were the days when we ate Carob instead of Chocolate, fruit roll-ups with actual fruit (not the kind you buy at the "regular" grocery store), natural peanut butter (I still find Jiffy Peanut Butter with all it's sugar to be a treat, this many years later!!) and took lots of vitamins. I didn't know what an Oreo was until I went to Kindergarten!! Eventually, we were able to corrupt my Mom and she started buying us "normal" desserts.
Later, she went back to the Social Work profession, this time helping families with the homestudy (documentation) required for adoption. She still does that today, for Christian Family Services. She has an amazing reputation in the business and people call her all the time, because they've heard so many good things about her!
Of course, my Mom has also worked as a taxi driver, driving us to ballet (me), T-Ball (all), Garden Club (all--hehehehe), the pool, friend's houses, school, etc. I guess that's why, when I was in about 4th grade, we moved to a house right behind our school - so Mom and Dad didn't have to drive us anymore [good move, guys!].
She was also (and even is still) a referee, moderating various disputes over the years; chef; and, of course, disciplinarian.
I'm proud to say that my Mom is also my friend. She's been there for me through thick and thin. The little things like scraped knees, growing pains, the stomach flu, wisdom teeth (hey, a girl can still need her mom when she has her wisdom teeth out at 25!), but also in the big life-changing decisions. And she supports me no matter what. [I can assure you that she doesn't enjoy having me so far away, but she's handled the whole thing like a champ!!]
I've learned invaluable lessons from my Mom. Lessons on faith, lessons on family, lessons on friendship, lessons on life in general. [Too bad the knitting lessons didn't take, but hey, at least I picked up cross stitch, right??] So much of who I am today is because of who my parents are.

So, as you so like to say, "You done good" Mom, "you done good!" For all you've done for me and continue to do, thanks! Here's a poem that I found fitting:

Always Mom

You were my fairy tale princess,
So much larger than life.
You were my angel and my witness
Through all my pain and strife.
At times you made me angry,
Great words I would proclaim
How someday you'd be sorry.
You were the one to blame.
But when I needed comforting
You alway found the time.
Your words were more soothing
Than days of childhood sublime.
Now the distance holds us apart,
I'll hold the memories in my heart.
You're my mother, my best friend.


Happy Birthday, Mom! I love you.

No comments: