27 November 2006

Sometimes it's the small things

Have you ever had something happen, that with the passing of time will seem very minor, but at the moment in which it happened, it was very major?

Today I had a very long day. I attended an integration seminar that is required for all company employees from overseas who are in Germany on an assignment greater than 12 months. It started at 9 and it ended at 9:30. 9:30 p.m. that is. And tomorrow, it will go from 8:30 until 5:00 p.m. And although it's nice to meet some new people, I really haven't learned anything. I should have attended last time, but I had a work scheduling conflict. Actually, I had a work conflict today, too, so I had to leave the seminar at 5:15, drive to work, have a meeting with an engineering VP and drive back to the seminar, arriving back at about 7 (in time for dinner - yep, I'm my father's daughter :).

Anyway, I was really tired as I arrived home at 10 to 10 p.m. I checked the post and almost didn't notice that there was a small white card all the way at the back of the mailbox. I pulled it out and it was a postcard from Yosemite. It was from Rene and Melissa, who are living in my house while Rene does an "internship" at C3. In January, they will return to Germany. I've never met them - they left right around the time I got here....but we've connected "virtually" and I can't wait to meet them in Michigan in December.

Getting the postcard from them was really a bright spot in my long (non-productive) day. And so, sometimes it's the small things that mean the very most.

No comments: