14 June 2010

How I broke our floor

I bought flowers for a friend of ours. Her birthday was on Saturday - the same day as Marc's PhD party (PhD completion party?). Anyways, she had forbidden me from making her a cake or singing Happy Birthday - she wanted the party to be a celebration of Marc and his friend, who had also received his PhD. But if it were my birthday, I would be sad if no one said or did anything. So I bought her flowers. The flowers were one of 10,000 last minute things I had to get on the day of the party (can you tell that I was not involved in the planning??).
Noah was napping, so it was going to be a while until I headed to the party. I grabbed a bucket, filled it with water, placed the flowers in it and set it in front of the door (along with the 10,000 other things I had to take with me).
Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. We get home from cleaning up the garden after the party. Marc notices the bucket, which is still in the hallway and still filled with water. The loosely translated version of our conversation went something like this:
Marc: "What's that?"
Me: "I filled it with water and put the flowers in that bucket until we left yesterday."
Marc: "Did you know that that bucket leaks? The floor is probably ruined."
Me: "No!" (Frantically emptying the bucket and wiping up the leaked water.)
Sure enough, the floor is all welled up.
Me: Tearfully apologizing for ruining our floor (in English, because when I am really upset, it just comes out in English).
Marc: "No big deal, I wanted to replace the floor anyway."

Good thing she liked her flowers.

No comments: