22 June 2010

Regression

We have regressed. We're back to negative habits we had about 6 months ago.

"How could this happen? It was all going so well!"
I really have no idea. It just....did.
"But why did this happen? What changed?"
Can't answer that one either.
"Please, make it stop! Will it end soon?"
I don't know, kids, but I sure hope so!

By we, I mean the Bean. And the habit is sleep.

The Bean is usually a dream in this department, or at least he's been a dream for about 6 months now. Before that, getting him to sleep was a nightmare. We would rock and rock and rock him to sleep only to lay him down and have him wake up. Nights were no problem, but daytime was a catastrophe.

On my birthday (please, don't ever do this on your birthday!), we decided to let him cry it out. I know that this is a loved and hated technique. I myself love and hate it. I had sworn to myself that we would not implement this technique until he was 3 months old, because I read somewhere that babies younger than 3 months should not have to cry. And we almost made it. He was 3 months minus 8 days. We were both so tired. And he was so tired. Something had to be done. So we let him cry it out. I hated the process. Marc literally had to hold me back from going in to him (we did go in every 10 minutes to give him his pacifier again). I loved the results. We only had to let him cry it out once and then we had this baby that we could put to bed awake. And this baby, well he fell asleep on his own in his own bed.

It was wonderful.

3 days ago, something changed. I lay him down when he's tired. But he doesn't fall asleep. He plays, he rocks on all fours, he cries, he babbles. But he doesn't sleep. This goes on for 2 hours. I go in, give him his pacifier, rub his back and he's almost asleep. But as soon as I leave the room, he's awake. I take him out, cuddle him, rock him and he's almost asleep. I lay him down, he's awake. Eventually, it's been 4 hours since his last feeding, so I get him up.

What is going on? He can't be dropping a nap, he's already down to 2. And he is tired.

He's regressed. Maybe it's his teeth. Maybe it's because he's working on learning something new (crawling, perhaps?). I don't know.

I do know that this momma is hoping to make some progress real soon.

2 comments:

melissa said...

sorry to hear of the sleep issues! I know what you mean, but from the perspective that at 8 months old, my little guy JUST started sleeping through the night. It seems like there is always another transition to adjust to! Hope you can catch a nap once in a while, too!

Sara H. (Bosch) said...

Well I can't give you child advice but I can tell you that I randomly checked your blog today and I have to tell you how adorably handsome your son is!