05 July 2006

Introductions

I've been thinking a lot about introductions lately. What's the value of a first impression? How easily do we allow our perception of people to change over time? Why do we snap to negative judgement in some cases and in others keep an open mind for a while? I don't know....these are just some of the thoughts that have been running through my mind lately.

Needless to say, I've met a lot of people in the last few days. People at church, neighbors, people at work, realtors....And I wonder how I come across in German. I know I don't talk as much (some of you might be thinking that's a good thing ;). Anyway, musings.....

Yesterday was good. I was in line for thirty minutes to get an ID badge. Because of the president's visit on Monday, they weren't making badges. So there were a lot of people there on Tuesday. This badge is different than my Farmington Hills badge. I use it to not only badge in and out of the gates and doors, but also to clock in and out and I can load it with money to pay for lunch at the cafeteria. Speaking of clocking in and out - it's very odd since I haven't done that in like 5 years.

Then we had our department meeting. This is where each of the consultants (that's what Leo says the translation is, anyways) goes around the table and talks about important topics that might affect others. It was interesting, but a lot of it went over my head since I just don't know all the processes or at least I don't know how they're called in German.

Then we went to lunch, again. And pretty much it seems like my department regularly goes together. We talked about soccer. And then when we came back, my boss brought out ice cream treats that he had to welcome me. So we stood around and ate those and chatted. Then the guy from the central personnel marketing department, whom I met in Farmington Hills when we first started talking about my assignment, came in. He had an ice cream, too :) and we chatted a bit.

Then I met with one of my colleagues to start to learn about my new job. So here's the deal....I'm responsible for supporting the Diesel System Human Resources people and the Germans on assignment in Turkey, Brazil and Japan. I have to help the HR people with strategic matters and the VAs with succession planning, development, their job upon return to Germany, etc....I'm not sure how it sounds, but it's pretty complicated, because you really have to understand the Diesel Systems business worldwide, find a contact network and understand the situation in each of the plants, which includes understanding the culture in that country. So I learned about Turkey for a while. It was pretty interesting. And I thought it was close, but it takes 8 hours to get to our plant in Turkey, because you have to take a 4 hour flight to Istanbul and then drive 4 hours to the plant (including a ride on a ferry). And the plane to Istanbul leaves around 5:30 p.m....This is all unless you're going with our executive management, because they have a private plane.

Oh, the rest of my job....I'm also responsible for the Bamberg plant here in Germany, the diesel systems trainee program and the biannual (twice a year?) diesel systems HR conference. So it sounds like I'll be busy....eventually.

Last night was a sad night for the nation of Germany.....they lost the soccer game after the extended play with Italy by a score of 2-0. They were so close to the time running out and having to do the 11 meter shoot-out, which most everyone thinks they would have won. So people here are sad....seriously. Now Germany plays on Saturday to see who will be in third place. Who they're playing against will be decided in tonight's game. I have the same philosophy here as I do with the Red Wings....if Italy was good enough to beat Germany, they should win the whole thing! I don't know what we'll do with ourselves, though, now that there's no more football.......

No comments: