26 September 2006

It's Official.....

I'm definitely a nerd. Today I ordered the four books for my class from Amazon.de. While I was at it, I ordered four other books that I've been wanting to read. Yep, I spent a pretty penny by Amazon.de. At least the shipping was free. And even though I only ordered them about an hour ago, I can't wait for them to come! You know I'll be checking my mail daily with anticipation!!! After I ordered, I promptly found three more books that I want to read.....Ah well, there's always tomorrow. :o)

Today is my nephew's due date.....I haven't heard anything, so I guess he's still "in the oven" as they say. "Aunt Sarah" - can you believe it??? Even better....my brother is "Dad!" Mom becomes Grandma! And Dad becomes Grandpa! (Heeheehee)

Continuing the German lessons ~ today my boss said "gemerged" as in "was merged." We were in our department meeting and my colleagues all know that I find this whole adoption of English directly into German without translation very funny. So we all started laughing, which caused my boss to stop in mid-sentence and look at all of us as if we had lost it. And then he looked at me and I was writing it down (just so I wouldn't forget). He asked "What?" and I simply repeated the word. Then he got it, grinned and asked me if he needed to define the word for me.....(Funny!!) I said no, I understood and enjoyed broadening my vocabulary with the "high German" words upgedatet, braingestormt and gemerged. I think after that it took him a good minute to find his train of thought again and pick where he left off (before we so rudely interrupted him....). I've heard this called Germlish in English and I found out it's called Dinglisch in German (Deutsch+Englisch). Whatever you call it, it's good for a laugh every time.

This weekend, we have a four day weekend (I think I already mentioned that). One of the things I want to do is visit the world's largest pumpkin and gourd exhibit in Ludwigsburg (one of the neighboring cities). They call it the "Wild Pumpkin/Gourd West" because apparently Columbus brought back pumpkins/gourds from the US. More really cool pictures from this exhibit can be seen here.

No comments: