23 October 2006

Awww, shucks.....

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I really, really appreciate it. 5 comments on one post is an all-time high! And just to reiterate, I will not stop blogging.

Hmm, it's raining so hard here right now. But I'm not complaining, because the weekend was beautiful!!! Saturday, I went to the Stuttgarter Culture Night that I mentioned in my last post. It was so cool! There were 70 different places in the city of Stuttgart that participated. There was classical music, jazz, opera, dance, theatre, film....pretty much you name it and you could see it. And there were buses to take you to the parts of the city that were too far to walk. So, what did we do? We heard a classical organ concert in this really beautiful church, we saw a really funny dance performance and we heard opera. And we learned a really, really valuable lesson for next time (yep, we already decided that we're going next year!). We have to buy tickets in advance so that we can get the program in advance so that we can make a time table of everything we want to see and where to go when. Imagine....70 venues with 500 collective hours of culture! You can't do everything in the 7 hours during which it takes place, so you have to be really organized. And next year, we will be!

Sunday after church, I went to Bretzfeld. I had a delicious lunch!! I eat well here, but never better than there. (Yum!) It was fun, because we haven't seen each other in about six weeks. I saw fun pictures of lots of my friends from C3 (miss you guys!!) and my Mom and Dad (miss you guys, too!!). :o) And then they gave me the items they brought back from Michigan for me. So I now have brownie mix!!! I am very much looking forward to having some brownies!!!

Sunday evening, we had a dinner at the home of a family from church. They live in a village. Really a village. So small it doesn't show up on my map or in the route planner program in the internet. Well, I didn't think it was that far from Bretzfeld, but it was! It was over ninety minutes away.......So I was an hour late getting there (and not because I go lost). But the drive was beautiful! Through the mountains, leaves are all changing, it was gorgeous.

Today after work I went to check out the place where the cats will stay while I'm in Michigan. It's near the airport, which is a plus. The second and third floors of the house are both multiple rooms with all kinds of cat toys, cat beds, etc. And the lady seemed nice enough. Hopefully they won't be to sad to go there. They'll be together, of course. And if the other cats don't get along with them, she'll put them in their own room. So they'll be fine. (Right?? I feel like I'm leaving my kids....or at least what I think it would feel like if I left my kids.)

And what I'm so excited about....I'm going to volunteer at the Children's English Library here in Stuttgart!!! The training is in the first week of November and then I'll be on one Saturday a month for about three hours. I'm really looking forward to this. I love books!

Miscellaneous Germany items that are floating around in my head.....
-I have to get winter tires for my car. Yep, that's right. There are two kinds of tires and people change them over with the seasons. This is actually something I need to do pretty soon. Thankfully, someone at church has offered to help me....

-Shopping isn't so easy. I need new pants. But all the pants are too long. And expensive. And the sizes here.....clothing size 8 in the US is a size 36 in Germany. How fun is that? And the shoes are similar. US size 7 is size 38. This doesn't mean anything, because it is what it is, but imagine how weird it is to walk up to a sales clerk and ask if they have a shoe in size 38....

-There is not Diet Coke in Germany, there is Coke Light. And it does not taste the same. And I do not like it, Sam I am. (Sorry, that really made me think of Dr. Suess.) I want a Diet Coke! I'm not craving much, but that is something I am craving.

-Now that I have TV again, I'm noticing how much American programming is dubbed into German. Right now, I could watch Sleepless in Seattle, Crossing Jordan, Lost or Married with Children (yuck!). Other than that, it's mostly all news programming.....

You Are Pumpkin

Realistic and practical, you see the world for how it is.
You know what it takes to succeed in life...
And you're happy to help others reach their goals.


Happy Monday!

No comments: