06 November 2007

Also

I think posting every second day might be my new goal. Hey, in comparison to posting once a month, it's like a 200% improvement, right? This post will be short.....today I had to get up extra early, because I had a seminar about 40 minutes from here (without traffic backups), which started at 8 am. The seminar continues again tomorrow and again starts at 8 am. So, I will be going to bed very shortly.

We have an ongoing problem here in Germany - have you heard? The locomotive drivers have been striking on and off for a month, which seems like forever now. So, I basically have to check the news every morning to find out if I can take the train today or if there is a strike again and I should take the car. And on the days when they're not striking, there is always some problem which causes the delay or complete cancellation of a train. The union cannot agree with the employer on a salary level. It looks like they'll be striking again on Thursday, but this time they won't be striking the local street trains, they'll be striking the commercial transport. Most people are hopeful that this means that companies will put more pressure on the settling of a contract. Can you imagine if there's no commercial transport of goods possible? As a substitute, trucks would probably have to be rented for transport. Which will cause more delays and jams on the highways. It's a mess. Don't misunderstand. I'm all for the right of the locomotive drivers to strike. But it's going on too long now, in my opinion. I can't say which side needs to settle, because I'm not that knowledgeable on the topic. But somebody needs to do something......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah!
Where are the rest of your postings for November? ;-)
Could you please email me back?!?!? I am waiting.....
See you SOON!! Simi