14 August 2006

Waiting.....

I don't know about this weather. Today, the high is supposed to be 62 and there's a definite possibility of showers, although the sun is shining right now. But by Wednesday (I had a really hard time spelling that!), the high is supposed to be 85! It's just like living in Michigan!
The un-summer weather is really sad for the people who are on vacation. August is basically vacation month in Germany. Because school is out, most parents pack up their kids and head for various vacation destinations. Take my department at work for example....There are 9 of us. According to my calculations, there will be several days in the next few weeks in which there are only 2 of 9 of us actually at work. Many of my coworkers have at least two weeks, if not three weeks of vacation planned.
If you're very astute, you've noticed that I'm posting at ~10:30 a.m. (German time) and you're now wondering why I'm not at work (and if you hadn't noticed on your own, now that I've pointed it out, you're also wondering). I'm home because my Kleiderschrank is being delivered today. And just like in the US, they say they'll deliver it between 9 and 12. So here I sit, feeling guilty for not being at work, waiting for it to be delivered, making the cats stay in the office with me so they don't get in the way once they arrive (which they don't seem to be enjoying...) hoping it will make it into my bedroom! And hoping they come pretty soon, so that I can eventually make it in to work!
This weekend, while cold, was good. I didn't get too much cleaning done around here (actually, in reference to that, I learned the German word for procrastinate yesterday, because Simi's dad asked me if I had gotten my cable for the new satellite yet and when I said that I haven't yet called, he told me that I shouldn't procrastinate....hmm, see a pattern here?)
Saturday night I went to a "Stairway to Heaven" night (Germans love English phrases) at the BGG. I knew almost all of the songs, but none of the words, because while the songs were all from Hillsong or Matt Redmond, they were naturally all in German. And the words on the screen were perpetually delayed, so I found myself feeling a little silly just standing there waiting for the words to appear. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it was a bit too charasmatic for me. But I though I would check out their Sunday morning service as well. I also found it to be a bit too charasmatic. So I think I might have to try some other places. The International Baptist Church has been recommended to me. And of course, there's the FeG which has a relationship with C3. So we'll see....
After church, I drove to Scheppach, where I was provided with a tasty lunch of zucchini Pfannkueche (yum!). Then we went to the Hohenloher Freiland Museum, which reminded me a bit of Greenfield Village, only the houses are older. It was rainy at first, but then the sun came out and it was actually quite pleasant. After that we went to a Besenwirtschaft, which is a "restaurant" that's run by someone with a vineyard. It's really different here than at home, because people sit together at tables with other people that they don't know and everybody talks to everybody else. I won't tell you what I ate, because it might gross you out (although, Sarah S., now that I know that you used to eat marrow, I guess there really shouldn't be anything that can gross you out, because this is much less gross than that!), but even if it didn't gross you out, you'd be very surprised at me, given my reluctance to eat meat which is identified by the part of the animal's body from which it comes.....But the food was good! The guy next to us had some very interesting theories on Israel, Hollywood and the United States government, which he shared even though he knew I was American. None of it particularly offensive, but some pretty out-there ideas. Also different in Germany: you don't pay and leave until you're ready to do so. So you sit at your table, with or without food or drink, and talk. If you need more to drink, you have to call the waitress over, she doesn't stop by perpetually asking if you'd like something else (and there's no such thing as free refills). Then when you're ready to go, you call the waitress over and tell her you'd like to pay. There's also not the same concept of tipping here. Here you give Trinkgeld (drink money), which usually means that you just round out the bill. For example, our bill was 36 something Euro. And so you give the waitress money and tell her how much you'd like back. In this instance, a 50 and 12 Euro back.
So that was my weekend.....how was yours?
Oh and in my avoidance of cleaning Saturday, I found this fun page! Enjoy!
I'll let you know how the Kleiderschrank works out. :)

No comments: